Live in Total Yoga! - Columbia, SC
230-Hour Yoga Teacher Certification Program
Through Yoga Alliance and the Asheville Yoga Center
This program is our comprehensive training which runs over nine weekends, roughly one a month. The program generally spans about 7 full months. It is offered several times a year in a variety of South Eastern cities. This type of learning works best for those that likes to let it sink in, and with the ability to get away one weekend a month. You will have assignments to do during your breaks between weekends and time to integrate what you are learning.
Do you have questions, comments or concerns? Please contact us.
Dates and Locations
Begins November 8 - 10, 2013
Save $600 if you sign up by August 8th, 2013
The Columbia Training will be held at Amsa Yoga, Columbia, SC. amsayoga.com
All classes are held at Amsa Studio
140 Pelham Drive -
Columbia, SC 29209.
The studio contact is firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 348-3387
Kimberley Puryear owner.
The curriculum will be identical to the Asheville program, the only difference in the two programs, besides location, will be fewer instructors. The three most senior teachers will be teaching the entire program.
Everything You Need to Know
Our 230 hour program is an intensive-study course for those wanting to deepen their understanding of Yoga, as well as prepare students to teach and practice safely, successfully, and compassionately. We will cover all the physical, philosophical and scientific aspects of Yoga, by introducing you to some of the best Yoga specialists here in the Southeast. Because of our incredible curriculum, many schools are mimicking our program. What a testimony to excellence!
We aim to break free of any dogma, ritual or sectarian approach by introducing many styles of Yoga: Iyengar, Anusara, and Flow are the major styles covered, while we also explore Ashtanga, Kundalini, Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy, Desikachar, Restorative, Partner, Bikram, Therapeutic, Psychological and more, in the most compassionate, humorous and thorough of ways. Creativity and personal inspiration will be encouraged as you develop your “own” teaching style.
However, you don’t have to be a teacher, nor even desire to become a teacher to attend these courses. Your Yoga practice will reach new heights as you become more grounded and peaceful through this ancient practice. The certificate you receive will be another step on your path to greater self-awareness and understanding, enabling you to Live your Truth that is Your Yoga.
Our 230 hour program is the first step, open to any serious student of Yoga who has been studying with a teacher for a minimum of six months. Even if you have been teaching Yoga for 20 years, this is an important first step as we start from the beginning for everyone, so we can all safely teach a beginning level Yoga class. Our average student body ranges from ages 22 - 65 years.
- What people are saying
“I can never thank you enough not just for teaching me Yoga, but giving me hope through the practice to face this most difficult world.”
-J. Blume, Kannapolis, NC
I enjoyed the range of subjects covered and the way we tackled them, including other yoga instructors and their different styles. This kind of exposure probably wouldn't have occurred at other institutions”
- N. Conrad, Cornelius, NC
“Stephanie is a wise and wonderful teacher. She shares her vast knowledge of yoga and meditation in more than words, but in the mindfulness and compassion she imparts in every moment of interaction with her students.
- E. Lang, Spartanburg, SC
“I was in awe of the education I have received ....much deeper and more
technical than anything I gained from Medical courses taken in the past.. thank you...Yoga is now my passion, my Life.”
- S. Dulken, Fairview, NC
- Our Incredible Staff
Stephanie Keach RYA500, has been teaching Yoga since 1988. Originally from Santa Barbara, CA, she has studied with most of the top yoga teachers, including her favorites: Ana Forrest, Erich Schiffman, Rodney Yee, Rod Stryker and Bryan Kest. Her Zen -Buddhist background brings a meditative style to the class.
Stephanie, owner and operator of the Asheville Yoga Center has produced the Flow Yoga video series and The Yoga Handbook. She currently teaches Flow Yoga classes, retreats, workshops and teacher trainings throughout the country. Stephanie resides in Asheville with her husband and three boys. Steph is so respected as a teacher because she is so down-to-earth, real and comfortable with herself. She is a master teacher, full of knowledge, experience and intuitive insight, well loved by many.
Stephanie specializes in over-seeing the program so that everyone's needs are more than met and hearts are opened wide. She is the Yoga Mama Bear of AYC..
Joe Taft is a certified Anusara Yoga instructor who has dedicated himself to the practice of yoga since 1997. His teaching style is approachable, lighthearted, uplifting and transformational. Joe interweaves Anusara’s life-affirming and heartfelt approach into his classes through myth, storytelling, Tantric philosophy and the wisdom gathered through his own life’s journey. He has completed hundreds of training hours with John Friend, Sianna Sherman and other senior Anusara instructors. Joe has a keen awareness of body biomechanics and a long history as a devoted athlete. He is an inspiration to yoga teachers and students alike.
Shala has a deep yoga practice and teaching style that reflects over 12 years of study. She invites students to cultivate the exploration of the physical and spiritual realms. As a teacher, Shala offers a blend of the benefits of yoga in the alignment traditions of Iyengar, and flowing aspects of Ashtanga and Vinyasa, always including therapeutic yoga, yin yoga, meditation, pranayama and yoga philosophy. She embodies a balanced sense of grace, delicate flow, and attention to detail - a direct result of her passion for practicing yoga in nature and our innate connection to the Earth and the Cosmos. She inspires the student to touch their own yogic soul, bringing asana practice to life from within. Shala currently lives in Asheville, NC, teaching at the Asheville Yoga Center and directing the Asheville School of Massage and Yoga. Shala will be teaching most of the training.
Since he can remember, Michael’s parents were his first and perfect Teachers in this life. In a way, everyone he meets continues to teach him perfectly by being examples of both how and how not to live. Among the many teachers who continue teach him, he has learned from Sri Swami Satchidananda, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, Sharon Gannon, David Life, Geshe Michael Roach, Lama Christie McNally, Lama Marut, Kimberley Theresa, and his beloved partner, Stephanie.
It is his honor, privilege and hope to return the kindness that so many people have bestowed upon him, by teaching the highest practices of Yoga to all levels of practitioners… responsibly, joyfully, and in a way that will help others achieve their goals in this life and beyond.
Kimberley, E-RYT 200 &RYT 500, received her teacher training at the Asheville Yoga Center in Asheville, NC under the direction of Stephanie Keach. She is registered with the Yoga Alliance at both the E-RYT 200 and 500 hour Advanced Studies levels.
Kimberley's personal practice began in 2003 and quickly became a life changing passion. Her love of Zen meditation, Vinyasa, and Yin Yoga have inspired her to share the healing powers of Yoga with others. She is passionate about helping students find connections between their practice on the mat and in their everyday lives. Kimberley's classes will challenge you as they guide you to practice from a place of honest exploration, acceptance, and personal freedom. The result is a fun and educational class that empowers each student to create their own practice, using their own strengths and weaknesses. Kimberley's authentic, warm and lighthearted spirit will encourage you to find your own yoga voice! Classes will be fun and challenging and know that your needs will be well-tended.
Kimberley has been blessed to find beautiful and inspiring teachers in Thich Nhat Hanh, Stephanie Keach, Shala Worsley, Erich Schiffmann, Paul Grilley, Scott Blossom, Michael Stone, Tim Miller, David Williams, David Swenson, Doug Keller, and the countless other shining souls that she meets along the path daily.
Kimberley practices and teaches meditation in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh and received the transmission of the Five Mindfulness Trainings from him in October of 2011.
Kimberley and her husband John are the grateful owners of Amsa Yoga.
Marion was introduced to the Rolf Method of Structural Integration and became a certified practitioner in 1996. She completed an Associate’s Degree in Nursing from A-B Tech College and a Certification for Yoga Instruction from the Asheville Yoga Center in 1999. Students will learn about the human body through her hands-on experiential teaching style.
- Alignment Principles
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Anusara Principles
- Ashtanga Yoga
- Bandhas (locks)
- Bhagavad Gita
- Bhavana (visualization)
- Chair Yoga
- Chanting (Kirtan and Vedic chants)
- Communication skills
- Different approaches to broadening your belief of what Yoga is
- Emotions and yoga (depression, anxiety, addiction, PTSD)
- Ethics – including Yamas and Niyamas
- Hands On Adjustments
- Home Practice
- Jivamukti yoga
- Kids Yoga
- Kundalini yoga
- Languaging (communication skills)
- Lesson Planning
- Mantra Meditation
- Meditation practices from Yogic and Buddhist lineages
- Nutrition (yogic)
- Pathology and Injuries
- Pranayama (breathing practices)
- Prenatal/Postnatal Yoga
- Psychology and yoga
- Restorative Yoga
- Savasana massage
- Senior Yoga
- Student Assisting (hands on assisting for another teacher)
- Student Teaching (peer and public)
- Sun Salutation history and lineages (surya namaskar)
- Sutras of Patanjali
- Tantric Theory and History
- Tapas (building internal heat)
- Vinyasa Krama (the art of class sequencing)
- Ways to avoid pitfalls with your asana, pranayama, or meditation practices
- Ways to enhance and strengthen your personal practice
- Women’s health (pregnancy, menstruation, menopause)
- Yin Yoga
- Peer Review of student teaching
- Yoga Nidra (deep relaxation)
- Curriculum Requirements and Hours
The following curriculum requirements are strongly emphasized:
- commitment to the entire program
- practice meditation or pranayama at least 10-20 minutes a day
- practice asana at least 1/2 to 2 hours a day
- daily journal writing to record above practice
- one research paper: 5-10 pages due 8th weekend (topics assigned first weekend)
- several 1-2 page book reports and biographies
- attend 2-3 different level Yoga classes between each weekend and write up evaluations
- out of class, unsupervised student teaching hours totaling at least 12 hours
- 11 required textbooks + additional reading means lots of reading!!
- 6 hours of assisting in Yoga classes
CURRICULUM HOURS (meets Yoga Alliance standards)
teaching methodology: 20
philos, ethics, lifestyle 20
total 230 hours
- Dates and Times
5:30 - 9:00pm
8:30am - 12:30pm
2:30 - 6:00pm
8:30 - 12:30am
12:30 - 3:30pm
1. Nov -11, 2012
2. Dec 7 - 9, 2012
3. Jan 11 -13, 2013
4. Feb 1 - 3
5. Feb 15 - 17
6. Mar 1 - 3
7. Mar 22 - 24
8. Apr 19 - 21
9. May 3 - 5
(May 10 - 12 is a possible make-up weekend if one of the above dates is snowed out and/or an instructor cannot make it.)
1. Nov 8 - 10, 2013
2. Dec 6 - 8, 2013
3. Jan 10 - 12, 2014
4. Jan 31 - Feb 2
5. Feb 21 - 23
6. Mar 7 - 9
7. Mar 28 - 30
8. Apr 11 - 13
9. Apr 25 - 27
10. May 2 - 4 (Please also reserve this weekend as a possible make-up weekend if one above is cancelled due to weather only)
- What if I have to miss a weekend?
Full attendance in the program is required for Yoga Alliance certification. It is not recommended or desired that you anticipate missing any weekends. In the case of emergency only, making up the weekend will require extra time, money and sometimes travel:
You will need to pay the regular weekend fee ($200) and then depending on what is taught that weekend, you will have to pay in addition, the private hourly rate from the teachers who taught that weekend. On the average you will need a 4-8 hour makeup class consisting of private instruction for a weekend missed, costing ave. $50-75 an hour, (this is in addition to the $200). We are unable to offer this option outside of Asheville, so out of town training absences will have to come to Asheville to "make-up" the weekend missed. If you miss more than one weekend I will encourage you to drop out of the program and re-enroll in another future program or I will graduate you and your certificate will state “ 145 in class hours” instead of “160 in class hours” and Yoga Alliance will not certify you until you have upgraded your certificate through the Asheville Yoga Center to meet the 160 hour minimum. Missing more than one weekend qualifies you for a suspension. Please do not let this happen.
- Required Reading
The following list is the required reading of the Asheville Yoga Center Live in Total Yoga Teacher Training Program. All books can be purchased in advance directly from the Asheville Yoga Center.
Cost for the entire bundle is $225 (includes s&h) and can be purchased here: BUY 200hour BUNDLE. In-store cost is $200.
The Yoga Handbook, An Inspirational Reference for Teaching and Home Practice, Stephanie Keach, $40 Buy now
Light On Yoga, BKS Iyengar
Yoga - The Spirit & Practice of Moving into Stillness, Erich Schiffman
Bhagavad Gita, the Stephen Mitchell translation
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Sw. Satchitananda
The Heart of Yoga, Desikachar
Back Care Basics, Mary Pulling Shatz
Yoga Anatomy, Leslie Kaminoff
The Miracle of Mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh
The Breathing Book, Donna Fahr
- Tuition is $2900.
- Save $600 if you sign up by August 8th, 2013. Save $300 if you sign up by October 8th, 2013.
- You can pay your tuition in full or put down a $600 deposit. The remainder of your balance is due either on the first day of training, or with a payment plan. This plan requires one fifth of the balance to be paid on each of the first 5 weekends.
- Tuition does not include accommodations, books or teacher training manual.
- Because this is one of the most popular Teacher Training Programs in the South East, we will accept the first 28 applicants that qualify for the 9 weekend programs and only the first 22 applicants that qualify for the Immersions. Once the programs fill, there will be a waiting list you can join.
- Programs fill months before the starting date.
- Some scholarship and work-trade available on a first come basis.
- We accept checks, cash, Visa, MC
- Already a teacher training graduate, but wanting to repeat? Discounts available. Because Stephanie's practice is always expanding and changing, so are her trainings, and many students have asked about repeating a training. Stephanie offers a 30% discount to repeat the same training, just register online with a regular deposit, making a note to Stephanie to include the 30% discount of the entire program when she sends you the balance due. YA credit can be applied.
- Stephanie offers a 10% discount to students who graduated from any of her 5-day vinyasa or 230-hour trainings; and who are then interested in taking the 5-day or 230 hour training with her. Just register online with a regular deposit, making a note to Stephanie to include the 10% discount of the entire program when she sends you the balance due.
- Cancellation Policy
- Application Process
Students must fill out an application in order to make payments and reserve a spot in the trainings. Please fill out the application below before you register.
- Prerequisites Required
Applicants are chosen on a first come basis, with the following prerequisites being met:
- a minimum of six-month’s experience with any live teacher (or many teachers) in any style of Hatha Yoga (this is so you don't apply with only dvd or video learning)
- to want to safely teach a beginning level Yoga class.
- a desire to enhance your own Yoga practice
- a desire to broaden your belief of what Yoga is
- a desire to Live Your Yoga
- a desire to open your heart to its fullest
Do you have questions, comments or concerns? Please contact us.