Classics of Yoga Teacher Training
500hr Classics of Yoga Teacher Training and Immersion
Please check back soon for future program dates
This amazing journey into the history and philosophy of Yoga is open to All Levels. Students will graduate with a Certificate of Attendance. To be eligible for the 500-hour YA certification students will need to have already obtained a Yoga Alliance Certification at the 200-hour level, (from the Asheville Yoga Center or elsewhere). It is not necessary to have a 200 hour YA certification to attend the training, if you are not working towards 500 hr YA certification.
In this course we’ll deeply explore the history and philosophy of yoga and meditation, drawing from many ancient texts like the Upanishads, Yoga Sutra, Bhagavad Gita and Hatha Yoga Pradipika. We will also examine research in contemplative neuroscience. We’ll enrich our own practice with time-tested methods for well-being and practice a wide variety of teaching techniques so we can share them with others. This training will include:
- Meditation principles and techniques
- Pranayama techniques and practice guidelines
- Sanskrit, reading, writing and pronunciation to better understand the texts
- Mantras for healing and personal development
- Ayurvedic assessment and recipes for well-being
- Great Steps on the Path of Enlightenment
- Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction by Susan Blackmore (Please get the second edition released in 2011)
- Buddha’s Brain by Rick Hanson and Richard Mendius
- Incognito by David Eagleman
- The Yoga Sutra (Suggested translation by BKS Iyengar)
- The Bhagavad Gita (Suggested translation by Stephen Mitchell)
- The Hatha Yoga Pradipika (Suggested translation by Swami Muktibodhananda)
We'll enrich our own practice and our understanding of the Yoga Sutra by seeing it in dialogue with the works before and after it in the four-thousand-year-old conversation about yoga.
The Classics Program is geared mostly towards the ancient doctrines of Yoga, the roots of the art and science of Yoga. The Classics Program is the Jnana Yoga path, or the Yoga of Knowledge. Though it is not all lecture, there will also be plenty of asana and practice weaved into and related to the material.
This program will look at depth into these classic yoga doctrines and language.
- The Upanishads
- Yoga Sutras
- Bhagavad Gita
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika
This program is being headed up by Michael Johnson.
Since he can remember, Michael’s parents were his first and perfect Teachers in this life. In a way, everyone he meets continues to teach him perfectly by being examples of both how and how not to live. Among the many teachers who continue teach him, he has learned from Sri Swami Satchidananda, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, Sharon Gannon, David Life, Geshe Michael Roach, Lama Christie McNally, Lama Marut, Kimberley Theresa, and his beloved partner, Stephanie.
It is his honor, privilege and hope to return the kindness that so many people have bestowed upon him, by teaching the highest practices of Yoga to all levels of practitioners… responsibly, joyfully, and in a way that will help others achieve their goals in this life and beyond.